[Wvgc-go] Seattle Go Center

programs at seattlego.org programs at seattlego.org
Thu Aug 30 18:42:54 PDT 2018

Hello Oregon Go people,

Greetings from you neighbors to the north!  Some of you know me from Portland tournaments past, and from Tacoma Go Club days.  Recently I was hired as part-time Programs Manager at Seattle Go Center.  (Brian Allen is continuing with us as Operations Manager.)

I'm hoping that it's okay if I occasionally (roughly 4x per year, I think) post invitations to Seattle Go Center events -- after all, Google Maps says we're less than 3 hours from Powell's Books by car, and less than 5 hours by bus.  (If it's not okay, let me know, and I'll desist.)  In turn, when there are big announcements from Oregon, I'd be pleased to pass them along to the Go Center announcements list.

For those unfamiliar with the Go Center, we're generally open for casual play 5 afternoons / evenings per week.  (Not Fridays, and not Sundays except for tournaments.)  We usually have free Go instruction for beginners, and we often have classes (like Nick Sibicky's "YouTube famous" series for DDK players) and workshops for more advanced levels.  On any given week, Tuesdays tend to be well attended, with 20 to 40 players coming through; we're pretty sure it's the largest weekly gathering of Go players in North America (possibly the Western Hemisphere).

For folks who like the intensity of tournament play, we have an AGA-rated tournament the first Sunday of each month (free to play in, except that you need to be a member of the AGA -- but the October iteration isn't free, because it's our 23rd anniversary tournament, which has prizes for band winners and an included pizza lunch; so $15 for adults, $10 for youth under 18).  And we've recently added a "Second Saturday Speed League" tournament, with shorter time limits (not AGA-rated), also free to play in, on the 2nd Saturday of each month.

We also have a small selection of Go books, boards, and stones available for sale.  We're a 501(c)3 non-profit, and we're not trying to compete with Yellow Mountain and other Go vendors; this is just for the convenience of visitors, and members who don't shop online.  (And no, we don't do mail order; sorry.)

Finally, we've recently begun hosting a group of Shogi (Japanese Chess) enthusiasts, on the 3rd Saturday of each month, 1 PM - 5 PM.  Shogi instruction is available during that time.

Other stuff upcoming --
Sun. Oct. 7, anniversary tournament;
date not set (probably Sat. Oct. 14), anniversary party;
Sat. Dec. 8, Pair Go Gala.

Thanks for your attention!  Hoping to see you soon at the Go Center,

Mike Malveaux
Seattle Go Center Programs Manager

email: programs at SeattleGo.org
web: www.SeattleGo.org