[Wvgc-go] WoW!!!!

peter.freedman at comcast.net peter.freedman at comcast.net
Tue Nov 5 12:27:55 PST 2013

The new Richmond chess and Go club got off to a rousing start yesterday with 41 children, 1st-5th grades, coming to the first meeting...Limited to 40, we were oversubscribed, with parents coming yesterday with checks hoping there was still room to enroll their children. We already have a wait list of 10 for next term, should any of the current children decide they don't want to continue.

This is the best response ever to a new chess and Go club, and confirms Fritz's and my view that 'the way to a new Go player's heart is through chess.' While Richmond is a Japanese language magnet school, where Go is more familiar than the average school, a great many of these children did play chess, or want to, but had never heard of Go. Here is what one parent wrote:

"Just wanted to let you know Ben had a great time today. He had said earlier that he didn't want to learn Go, but after one lesson, he is begging me to buy him a Go board. I will sign him up for the rest of the year and will put a check in the mail tomorrow. "

Peter F.

You must first dream a possible future before it can become a reality.