[Wvgc-go] Portland Go Tournament 2012, October 20-21

Peter Drake drake at lclark.edu
Fri Apr 6 13:54:18 PDT 2012

This year's Portland Go Tournament is now open for registration! See below for details.

Important changes by popular demand:

You've got LOTS of advance warning this year. Clear your calendar!

There is now an open section. How many 6D+ players can we get?

The handicap section will have SEVEN rounds this year! (The whole weekend was shot anyway, right?)

The early registration deadline has been moved to September 20. I need this much advance warning so that I know how much to spend on prizes.

Let's make this the biggest Portland Go Tournament ever! Spread the news! Bring the women and children!

Peter Drake
https://sites.google.com/site/drpeterdrake/home

PORTLAND GO TOURNAMENT
October 20-21, 2012
Lewis & Clark College, Portland, OR

(DOCUMENT UPDATED 15 MARCH 2012)

Come play SEVEN rounds of AGA-rated Go! That’s right, MORE GO THAN YOU’LL GET IN THE US OPEN! This is a handicap tournament, so you can expect some exciting, close games no matter your rank.

Strong players (6D+ AGA) may opt instead for the 5-round open tournament -- all even games, may the best player win!

Prizes (merchandise, lessons, or cash) will be awarded for:

Top three places (open)
Top three dan players (handicap)
Top three single-digit kyu players (handicap)
Top three double-digit kyu players (handicap)
Top youth player (22 and under) (handicap)
Top female player (handicap)

TO REGISTER: Register at www.goclubs.org. If you entered all of your personal information last year, it should still be there; you may wish to update your rank. Email me (drake at lclark.edu) if you have any questions.

REGISTRATION FEE: $15 if you've preregistered by SEPTEMBER 20, $25 otherwise, no registration fee for youth players (22 and under). ALL players must also either be AGA members (you can join at the tournament for $30, $10 for youths) or pay a one-tournament membership fee of $10.

All fees are paid by cash or check on the day of the tournament.

LOCATION: Albany 218 and 220 on the campus of Lewis & Clark College. This is the same location as last year. Maps:

http://www.lclark.edu/GENERAL/MAPS/

SCHEDULE:

Handicap games give each side 60 minutes plus five 30-second overtime segments (byo-yomi). Open games give each side 90 minutes plus five 30-second overtime segments.

Saturday, October 20
8:00 AM	  Registration
9:15 AM	  Handicap Round 1	Open Round 1
1:00 PM	  Handicap Round 2
1:30 PM   			Open Round 2
3:30 PM	  Handicap Round 3
7:00 PM	  Handicap Round 4	Open Round 3

Sunday, October 21
9:15 AM	  Handicap Round 5	Open Round 4
1:00 PM	  Handicap Round 6
1:30 PM   			Open Round 5
3:30 PM   Handicap Round 7
6:00 PM	  Award Ceremony

TRANSPORTATION: Parking on campus is free on the weekends. If you're coming from downtown Portland, you can take the Pioneer Express shuttle bus:

http://www.lclark.edu/offices/transportation_and_parking/shuttle/

(Note that the shuttle route has changed slightly from last year.)

FOOD: In the past, volunteers have provided some coffee, muffins, etc. There is a coffee shop (Maggie's) open on campus; Fields Dining Room is open for lunch and dinner. Info on these establishments can be found here:

http://www.cafebonappetit.com/lewisandclark/

Note that Maggie's doesn't open until noon on the weekend, so if you need an infusion of caffeine before your first round, bring something along.