[Wvgc-go] news from Corvallis

Robert O'Malley omalleyr at science.oregonstate.edu
Tue Aug 24 10:04:05 PDT 2010

Hey all

I have some "new" news, and some old news, that players outside of
Corvallis might not know about

first, we have been lucky to have two 6D players coming to the Corvallis
meetings:  SeJoon Park, who is a PhD student here at OSU, and Nicholas
Jhirad, who just moved to Eugene from the DC area.

next, we have also been lucky enough to have now had sightings of three
young players (all undergrad age) who were first introduced to Go
through Corvallis Go Club outreach to the middle schools (all three
introduced to Go in 6th grade through 6th grade humanities (Ancient
China) (I came in as a guest lecturer to those classes for a number of
years)).  One of those players was part of the middle school go club
that I gave a shot at organizing one year back then.

also youth related, we have once again given a Go class for the academic
summer camp here at OSU for TAG students, this one for the 7th and 8th
graders who were part of the  "Thinking Outside the Box" summer
classes.  I started that with the 5th and 6th grade groups a bunch of
years ago, then Ira Hecht picked it up, and this year Yigal Toister gave
the class.  Unbelievable, the instructors actually get paid  ;^)

And, lastly, we tried a Corvallis "Day of Go" for club members back when
the World Cup finals were on ... big screen TV world cup soccer showing
at the same time as a six player round robin.  We used AGA ratings, but
no results were sent in, and no fees were charged (although, it was a
pot-luck ... :)) ).  This was definitely an "invitational", but it
worked, and I suspect we will expand the idea and do it again.  *not*
sending in the results made this much more informal (and less stressful)
as far as I could tell.  The pot luck helped too :))

that's it, for old and new "news".  A few other things brewing, but
we'll pick them up in a bit.

see you

O'Malley