[Computer-go] Mastering Chess and Shogi by Self-Play with a General Reinforcement Learning Algorithm

"Ingo Althöfer" 3-Hirn-Verlag at gmx.de
Wed Dec 6 06:28:51 PST 2017

It seems, we are living in extremely
heavy times ...

I want to go to bed now and meditate for threee days.

> DeepMind makes strongest Chess and Shogi programs with AlphaGo Zero method.
> Mastering Chess and Shogi by Self-Play with a General Reinforcement Learning Algorithm
> https://arxiv.org/pdf/1712.01815.pdf
>
> AlphaZero(Chess) outperformed Stockfish after 4 hours,
> AlphaZero(Shogi) outperformed elmo after 2 hours.

It may sound strange, but at the moment my only hopes for
games too difficult for AlphaZero might be

* a connection game like Hex (on 19x19 board)

* a game like Clobber (based on CGT)

Mastering Clobber would mean that also the concept of
combinatorial game theory would be "easily" learnable.

Side question: Would the classic Nim game be
a trivial nut for AlphaZero ?

Ingo (is now starting to hope for an AlphaZero type program
that can do "general" mathematical research).