[Computer-go] Deep Blue the end, AlphaGo the beginning?

Robert Jasiek jasiek at snafu.de
Thu Aug 17 13:49:08 PDT 2017

On 17.08.2017 21:35, Darren Cook wrote:
> The machine-learning methods AlphaGo uses are applicable to practically anything."

They (alone) are not good for guaranteed avoiding of mistakes (as is
achieved by theorems), or for guaranteed permanent execution by their
software, hardware, power supply and circumstances of natural forces.

They (alone) are not enough for GAI also because many applications need
some interface between the machine-learning methods and the
domain-specific requirements.

They are inapplicable to what is proven to be, or their application can
be unpredictable in some sense for what is proven to be non-deterministic.

They can pretend to simulate but cannot replace religion, meta-physics,
ethics, emotions. However, it may be an open debate whether they can
assume self-consciousness some time.

If we give them too much power (incl. self-regulated access to physical
ressources), they can render extinct mankind.

--
robert jasiek