[Computer-go] Alphago and solving Go

Gunnar Farnebäck gunnar at lysator.liu.se
Wed Aug 9 05:34:56 PDT 2017

Except 361! (~10^768) couldn't plausibly be an estimate of the number of
legal positions, since ignoring the rules in that case gives the trivial
upper bound of 3^361 (~10^172).

More likely it is a very, very bad attempt at estimating the number of
games. Even with the extremely unsharp bound given in
https://tromp.github.io/go/gostate.pdf

10^(10^48) < number of games < 10^(10^171)

the 361! estimate comes nowhere close to that interval.

/Gunnar