[Computer-go] Alphago and solving Go

Darren Cook darren at dcook.org
Mon Aug 7 03:52:03 PDT 2017

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brute-force_search explains it as
> "systematically enumerating all possible candidates for the
> solution".
>
> There is nothing systematic about the pseudo random variation
> selection in MCTS;

More semantics, but as it is pseudo-random, isn't that systematic? It
only looks like it is jumping around because we are looking at it from
the wrong angle.

(Systematic pseudo-random generation gets very hard over a cluster, of
course...)

> it may not even have sufficient entropy to guarantee full
> enumeration...

That is the most interesting idea in this thread. Is there any way to
prove it one way or the other? I'm looking at you here, John - sounds
right up your street :-)

Darren