[Computer-go] Alphago and solving Go

Brian Sheppard sheppardco at aol.com
Sun Aug 6 11:20:18 PDT 2017

I understand why most people are saying that AlphaGo is not brute force, because it appears to be highly selective. But MCTS is a full width search. Read the AlphaGo papers, as one of the other respondents (rather sarcastically) suggested: AlphaGo will eventually search every move at every node.

MCTS has the appearance of a selective search because time control terminates search while the tree is still ragged. In fact, it will search every continuation an infinite number of times.

In order to have high performance, an MCTS implementation needs to search best moves as early as possible in each node. It is in this respect that AlphaGo truly excels. (AlphaGo also excels at whole board evaluation, but that is a separate topic.)