[Computer-go] Alphago and solving Go

Vincent Richard vincent.francois.richard at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 07:39:33 PDT 2017

*Is Alphago **brute **force search? *

No, simply because there are way to many possibilities in the game,
roughly (19x19)!

Alphago tries to consider the game like the human do: it evaluates the
board from only a limited set of moves, based on its "instinct". This
instinct is generated from deep convolutionnal neural network (see
alphago's aper for details
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v529/n7587/full/nature16961.html?foxtrotcallback=true)

*Is it possible to solve Go for 19x19 ? *
If I remember correctly, I pretty sure a team has solved go for 5x5
boards. I let you guess reaching 19x19 is quite impossible. It is often
said there are ore games of go than atoms in the universe

*And what does perfect play in Go look like? *
=> Alphago is currently the best players, hence the closest to a perfect
play. Google Deepmind has published 50 self played games alphago
https://deepmind.com/research/alphago/alphago-vs-alphago-self-play-games/.
Some reviews by Michael Redmond have been published on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjsN9BRInys

*How far are current top pros from perfect play?*
=> Difficult to say, even if Alphago is strong, some pros feel it still
does some mistakes.

Vincent Richard