[Computer-go] Commercial Go software and high-end users

"Ingo Althöfer" 3-Hirn-Verlag at gmx.de
Tue May 31 00:12:50 PDT 2016

Hi Petri,

"Petri Pitkanen" <petri.t.pitkanen at gmail.com>
> ... I do doubt if strong go programs give too much for analysis.
> Even if they are 1p and can show you a better move it is not worth
> much for a human when there is no reasoning available how to zoom
> into that move.

that is just my point. The program needs some interface features
to become really helpful as a tool for analysis. In chess, such
features were introduced (in the early 1990's; mainly by ChessBase)
and became common soon.

> Even in chess no-one really gains form computer analysis.

Very wrong.

>From the mid 1990's most strong correspondence chess players
use computer help intensively; and a few years later the
same started in opening preparation for over-the-table grandmasters.

Example: In 2002 Tonu Oim (Estonia) got his second World Champion
Title with the help of friends from Finland [sic!] and their chess
programs.

Ingo.