[Computer-go] Commercial Go software and high-end users

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Mon May 30 13:49:05 PDT 2016

  Hi!

  Couple of ideas.

On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 06:19:39AM +0200, "Ingo Althöfer" wrote:
> One point is: The absolute strength of the program need not to be
> better than the strength of the player who uses it for analysis purposes.
> It is enough that the program is tactically strong.

  But strong Go programs are traditionally strategically strong, but
tactically *weak*. We still don't have a good publicly available tsumego
solver.  I think this makes their capabilities a lot less useful for
game analysis.

> Another point: Once you have a database program with nice functionality,
> it is only a question of short time until it is supported by playing
> programs.

  (I think we have pretty good web-based Go database engines now.)

> > On the other hand, commercial engines are probably close to breaking the
> > 1p barrier soon. At which point they'll become analysis tools even for
> > the higher echelon of players, if initial resistance to "a new thing"
> > can be overcome.
>
> And for that it would be very helpful to have a few popular top players
> using it.

  So my main hypothesis is that the English-speaking market is very
small, and the East Asian language barrier(s) prevent a lot of network
effects to kick in; the Western audience is small and the barrier is
hard to overcome.  (In the Chess world, there probably was
English-Russian barrier but the player distribution is still a lot
more even, imho.)

--
				Petr Baudis
	If you have good ideas, good data and fast computers,