[Computer-go] Keynote Lecture by Aja Huang

"Ingo Althöfer" 3-Hirn-Verlag at gmx.de
Thu Jun 16 09:35:38 PDT 2016

Hello,

the ICGA is proud to annouce a special talk by Aja Huang
during the Computer Olympiad and "Computer Games" conference
in Leiden (NL).

**** Computer and Games 2016 Conference ****

Keynote Lecture
June 29, 2016: 14.00-15.00 h.

Location: Leiden University, room 1 of the Gorlaeus Building

Lecture by Aja Huang of the AlphaGo team

AlphaGo: Combining Deep Neural Networks with Tree Search

Abstract
In this talk we will present the source of power of AlphaGo. In AlphaGo, we
use ‘value networks’ to evaluate board positions and ‘policy networks’
to select moves. These deep neural networks are trained by a novel combination
of supervised learning from human expert games, and reinforcement learning
from games of self-play. Without any look ahead search, the neural networks
play Go at the level of state-of-the-art Monte Carlo tree search programs that
simulate thousands of random games of self-play. We also introduce a new
search algorithm that combines Monte Carlo simulation with value and policy
networks. Using this search algorithm, our program AlphaGo achieved a 99.8%
winning rate against other Go programs, and defeated the human European Go
champion by 5 games to 0. In March 2016 AlphaGo defeated Lee Sedol, the
strongest human Go player in the last decade.