[Computer-go] Commercial Go software and high-end users

David Ongaro david.ongaro at hamburg.de
Wed Jun 1 15:21:56 PDT 2016

Ok, the CuDNN license might not be as convenient as the Apache 2.0 license, but to quote from https://devblogs.nvidia.com/parallelforall/accelerate-machine-learning-cudnn-deep-neural-network-library/:

> Note that the cuDNN license allows you to install and use as many copies of the software as you need, for both individual and corporate use.  This intentionally permissive license is designed to allow cuDNN to be useful in conjunction with open-source frameworks.

So it seems nvidia got out of his way to make cuDNN useable for commercial purposes without imposing extra license costs.

>> I might overestimating it, but on the other hand I guess a Professor
>> like Rémi has much more obligations other then writing Go Software.
>> So anything which could save time helps.
>
> I don't really want to answer in Remi's place, but I think he's working
> fulltime on Go now. His page states:
>
> "In the *past*, I was Associate Professor of Computer Science..."

I see, it must be great to be able to just focus on Computer Go these days… But I still would argue that Rémi probably shouldn't waste his time in reinventing the wheel.

David O.