[Computer-go] Mastering the Game of Go with Deep Neural Networks and Tree Search

Aja Huang ajahuang at google.com
Mon Feb 1 05:38:28 PST 2016

Hi Petr,

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 11:38 AM, Petr Baudis <pasky at ucw.cz> wrote:

> That's right, but unless I've overlooked something, I didn't see Fan Hui
> create any complicated fight, there wasn't any semeai or complex
> life&death (besides the by-the-book oonadare).  This, coupled with the
> fact that there is no new mechanism to deal with these (unless the value
> network has truly astonishing generalization capacity, but it just
> remembering common tsumego and joseki shapes is imho a simpler
> explanation), leads me to believe that it remains a weakness.

If you check Myungwan Kim 9p's comments in the video, in the 4th game there
was a semeai that AlphaGo read out at top side. See the game at

http://britgo.org/deepmind2016/summary

Unfortunately before the Lee match I'm not allowed to answer some of the
interesting questions raised in this thread, or mention how strong is
AlphaGo now. But for now what I can say is that in the nature paper (about
5 months ago) AlphaGo reached nearly 100% win rate against the latest
commercial versions of Crazy Stone and Zen, and AlphaGo still did well even
on 4 handicap stones, suggesting AlphaGo may do much better in tactical
situations than Crazy Stone and Zen.

I understand you bet on Lee but I hope you will enjoy watching the match. :)

Aja

Of course there are other possibilities, like AlphaGo always steering