[Computer-go] KGS mixed human-and-bot tournaments

Nick Wedd maproom at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 10:24:03 PDT 2016

KGS has announced that it will be running, for the first time, a "mixed"
tournament where both humans and bots can play on the same terms.  This
will be held on Saturday and Sunday, September 17th/18th.

The tournament is in two divisions, suitable for different time zones. Both
are 19x19, No Handicap, Single Elimination. The time settings are 30
minutes main time plus Canadian 2 minutes per 10 moves (30m + 2min / 10
moves). The rounds are spaced 90 min apart, 3 rounds on the first day,
remaining rounds on the second day.

There are details at https://www.gokgs.com/tournInfo.jsp?id=1070
(Asia/Europe) and https://www.gokgs.com/tournInfo.jsp?id=1071 (Americas).
Bots may enter both divisions. There are small prizes, which may be won by
bots.

The organisers expect entrants with a wide range of strengths, and I hope
that these will include bots with a range of strengths. As it's an
Elimination tournament, weaker players are likely to be eliminated on the
Saturday.

Entrants are invited to register themselves for this tournament, using the
"Tournament Registration" link at the top right of the pages cited above.
When registering a bot, please also email me, so that I can check that all
bots are being operated by, or with the approval of, their creators, and we
do not have multiple instances of identical bots.

I hope all bot authors will consider entering this event.

Nick
Nick Wedd      maproom at gmail.com