[Computer-go] Dynamic komi - VBSC

Gonçalo Mendes Ferreira gonmf at sapo.pt
Fri Sep 4 08:42:47 PDT 2015

On 04/09/2015 16:29, Stefan Kaitschick wrote:
> The best contenders may be best for entirely different reasons. How do
> you compare a line that tries to bring down a huge group with a line
> that cautiously tries to optimize safe points. It's really hard to do.
That's for the search policy to decide in the end.
> And whereever the dynamic komi lands, pedestrian variations may look
> great or totally uninteresting. The idea of dynamic komi is to give
> enterprising variations short of kamikaze a chance of prevailing in
> poor positions, and humdrum variations better than passing a chance in
> comfortable positions.
If I'm understanding correctly then I'd like to move the best plays
closer to 50% winrate, in situations where there are a few plays with
100% winrate and the rest are terrible. In lopsided cases like this
moving to the average is actually making more plays with 100% winrate,
which is not helpful, right?

I agree that, of course some not great but promising plays suffer if we
use the highest win rate, but if the threshold to change the komi is
something like 70%-90% I don't think that's our main concern anymore.