[Computer-go] Strange GNU Go ladder behavior

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Thu Jun 18 15:56:19 PDT 2015

  Hi!

  I've observed the same thing when playtesting Pachi against GNUGo,
since very long ago.  If you look a few moves back, you will see GNUGo
already taking progressively longer time as the ladder is played out.
IMHO there's some crazy exptime backtrack that gets out of hand at some
point.  It'd be interesting to see if giving GNUGo some time limit
helps.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 03:45:18PM -0700, Peter Drake wrote:
> Nope, we're still getting these crashes with more memory in the system. It
> still looks like it's always GNU Go that's crashing, and it always happens
> some way into a ladder that Orego shouldn't really be playing out.
>
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 3:24 PM, Peter Drake <drake at lclark.edu> wrote:
>
> > I have no idea what GNU Go does for memory management, but that does offer
> > up a possibility: maybe the machine in question (a Google Compute Engine
> > instance) is running out of memory. I've been using the highcpu machine
> > types; I'll try a standard one (which has more memory) and see if the same
> > thing happens.
> >

> > On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 1:41 PM, uurtamo . <uurtamo at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> What does it do for memory management? Is it ungracefully failing while
> >> evaluating the ladder itself due to ram issues?
> >>
> >> steve

> > --
> > Peter Drake
> > https://sites.google.com/a/lclark.edu/drake/
> >

> --
> Peter Drake
> https://sites.google.com/a/lclark.edu/drake/

				Petr Baudis
	If you have good ideas, good data and fast computers,
	you can do almost anything. -- Geoffrey Hinton