[Computer-go] What's a good playout speed?

Christoph Birk birk at obs.carnegiescience.edu
Tue Apr 7 07:44:37 PDT 2015

On Apr 7, 2015, at 7:16 AM, Urban Hafner <contact at urbanhafner.com> wrote:
> I wouldn't know, Christoph. My (and Igor's) bot is called Iomrascálaí. :P It's running as the various Imrscl-XYZ bots on CGOS due to the username length restriction and the fact that the current CGOS can't handle Unicode characters.
> This bot however does around 4.5k pips on 9x9 and 1k apps on 19x19 running on a 2,2 GHz Intel Core i7 (6 months only MacBook pro). The versions on CGOS run using 8 threads and I get a speedup of about 4.5x.

thanks, I agree 1400 is about as far as simple UCT will get you.
My simple UCT implementation (myCtest-xxk-UCT) gets about
1200, but it does not do any adjustments to the number of playouts
per move depending on the time remaining, so I have to limit
it to 40k playouts per move.
Have you thought about using the partial tree of the previous move
as a bias?

Chrisoph