[Computer-go] History of program strength

David Fotland fotland at smart-games.com
Sat Sep 27 16:09:01 PDT 2014

It really depends on the amount of time put into the monte carlo algorithm.  It was 3 or 4 months of near full time work to get monte carlo stronger than the old Many Faces, and it was probably only about 3 kyu when it won the 2008 world championship (about 5 more months of part time work).  It took another year or so to get it to one dan, and another year or so to get to 3 dan.

This is a graph of win rate (5000 playouts, 1000 test games) on 9x9 vs Gnugo by my monte carlo version number.  In 2008 during this development I was working on it 4 days a week, and doing about 2 test versions a day.  You can see that most of the things I tried didn’t work but every once in a while I had a breakthrough.  Version 499 was the 2008 world championship entry.  I’m on version 1242 now, so development slowed down quite a bit after 2009.