[Computer-go] Definition of single-point eye

uurtamo . uurtamo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 14:42:42 PDT 2014

I agree with the sentiment of what you're saying, and since I was taught by
people trained in Japanese rules, I think it's a much more natural way to
learn. They're subtle when you're first learning.

For my first few games, I was given a basic outline of the rules.
Exceptions to a small set of rules are rare enough early on that you can
wait to explain them.

It is incredibly difficult for me to teach this way. I want to get all
cases completely down on the table. But the reality is that people don't
feel fooled when you later explain the special case. They realize that it's
unusual (at that stage in their game experience) and are willing to roll
with it.

When explaining how to repair a car engine, you don't need to talk about
metal alloys on the first day.

Most of my friends read board games' rules cover to cover before playing a
single move.

For go this is a bit much to ask. I think that it's much more fun to absorb
only as much as necessary to get started and to have tiny details
(superko?) filled out later.

Getting beginners addicted to the game is key to the game's success. Laying
out a Wittgensteinian rulebook in advance just keeps the logicians
interested.

Apologies to Robert Jasiek -- your work is impressive and I believe key to
advancing computer approaches to the game.

My $0.02,

s.