[Computer-go] Zombie processes

Olivier Teytaud teytaud at lri.fr
Sun Oct 26 03:35:05 PDT 2014

By the way even winning just one game is a great success
(no handicap!). And other games were (as far as I've been told by strong
players) far from trivial for the human player.

> Yesterday F J Dickhut won his game in the "codecentric go challenge
> 2014" five-game match against Crazy Stone, bringing the score to 3-1,
> and winning the match. My congratulations to Franz Dickhut!  I hope
> such an event will be held again next year.
>
> I have just read a posting by 'leichtloeslich' at
> http://www.lifein19x19.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=
> 10890&p=175108#p175108
> which reads
>
> > Crazystone had several disconnections during the game.
> >
> > After the first disconnect (and subsequent reconnect), appearently
> > a second instance of Crazystone was running in the background (I
> > think all the way till the second disconnect, you can read about this
> > in the KGS kibitz from the end of the game), so that for about 1/3 of
> > the game Crazystone was running on merely half the processing
> > power/memory it should have been able to use.
>
> I have come across a similar problem before. In the 2010 European Go
> Congress, I was sent a copy of Leela to operate. It had a few
> disconnects (after which I simply restarted it), but did badly, losing
> all its games.  At the end of the event, when I shut down the machine it
> had been using, I found multiple copies of Leela running, which
> would all have been competing for resources.
>
> I wonder how practicable it would be for a bot, on startup, to search
> for other copies of itself running, and issue a warning if it finds any.
>
> Nick
> --
> Nick Wedd
> nick at maproom.co.uk

Olivier Teytaud, olivier.teytaud at inria.fr, TAO, LRI, UMR 8623(CNRS - Univ.
Paris-Sud),
bat 490 Univ. Paris-Sud F-91405 Orsay Cedex France
http://www.slideshare.net/teytaud