[Computer-go] A few questions from a beginner

Darren Cook darren at dcook.org
Mon Mar 17 16:49:20 PDT 2014

> Pachi's definition looks correct to me. There are a few rare exceptions to
> this definition but it should work well in general.

Agreed. The classic exception is:
  http://senseis.xmp.net/?TwoHeadedDragon
(I *think* that represents *all* the exceptions; everything else that is
regarded as alive without two proper eyes is consider seki.)

A heavy-looking attempt at generality:
  http://senseis.xmp.net/?FormalDefinitionsOfEye

Darren

P.S. Incidentally, you can write a go program with no concept of eyes:
playouts continue until no legal moves left. The light playout idea of
"not filling your eyes" is just an optimization. (Better is to replace
it with the concept of Avoid Stupid Sacrifice, as that will cover
snapbacks, under-the-stones and seki too... much harder though!)