[Computer-go] time management

Sam Kelly samuel.kelly at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 15:44:04 PST 2014

Hi Folkert,

Aja Huang did some work in time management in his PhD thesis and Baier and
Winands got good results in their paper "Time Management for Monte-Carlo
Tree Search in Go". Also, some of us working on Orego at Lewis & Clark
College came up with a successful heuristic last year which mostly builds
on Aja's work (we wrote it up in a poster called "Applying Time Management
to Computer Go" available at
https://webdisk.lclark.edu/drake/publications/time-poster-2013.pdf). I
think Pachi also incorporates some novel techniques. There is probably more
that others can point you to.

Good luck!

Sam Kelly

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 2:23 PM, folkert <folkert at vanheusden.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Now that my go program is no longer fixed time, I want to build in time
> management.
> The gtp protocol has e.g. "time_left" for that which indicates how much
> seconds are left in the current match.
> I could simple divide that by the expected number of moves left and use
> that (it seems games of my program last ~ 150 moves). I'm not entirely
> confident about this. What do other programs do? I was also considering
> using something non-linear. And also: start with a large amount of time
> and reduce that when reaching the end? Or?
>

> thanks
>
> Folkert van Heusden
>
> --
> MultiTail cok yonlu kullanimli bir program, loglari okumak, verilen
> kommandolari yerine getirebilen. Filter, renk verme, merge, 'diff-
> view', vs.  http://www.vanheusden.com/multitail/

Samuel H. Kelly
samuel.kelly at gmail.com