[Computer-go] Skip-opening matchmode

Thomas Wolf twolf at brocku.ca
Thu Jun 5 06:41:51 PDT 2014

Suggestion:
Let a strong bot play against itself, let one bot play freely, for tha other
bot let the fist 15 or so moves be played by the strongest human you can get.

Prediction:
The freely playing side with the 'bad' opening will win on average.

Explanation:
As mentioned before, whether a move is good or not depends a lot on the
ability to handle the resulting situations. Bots are strong in all board
unbiased evaluation and not so good in precise end game for which you need
extra knowledge. Therefore a bot can handle all board fighting positions
better than very territorial solid play which is why bots play the opening as
they play it.

Extension:
Vary the number of human initial moves to get extra insight.

Thomas