[Computer-go] Skip-opening matchmode

Marc Landgraf mahrgell87 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 02:24:57 PDT 2014

I fully agree, that there is almost no difference between playing whatever
move first. Or even some joseki choices. I never argued about the game
being decided in middlegame. But move 50 is much more then that. Or would
you argue, that a Cho Chikun position looks the same as a Takemiya
position? And in fact, I think, that low territorial games should be much
easier to evaluate for MC-Bots and thus lead to an even stronger play.
Pretty much like those Lee Changho games in the 90's.
But the Bots are deluded by the Fata Morgana of huge moyos and will never
get to such a position. We don't know how Bots perform on those positions,
because they simply never happen. And such tests could actually show, if
there is a potential improvement of the bots, when giving them some
different starting position into the middle game. If there is not... well
there is no reason to even try to enable the bots to play more human-like
openings. But if it shows, that Bots can activate their inner Lee Changho,
once given a position that enables them to show it... Well, it may be worth
it to look deeper.

But until now I have only seen attempts to model such openings in various
way, but they didn't result in anything overwhelming. But we have no idea
if it is because the bots simply didn't play the opening well or if it does
not suit their style later. And that is all I wan to know.