[Computer-go] Skip-opening matchmode

Marc Landgraf mahrgell87 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 05:51:31 PDT 2014

Hi,
another idea crossed my mind lately. We see a lot of Bots play rather
unconventional fuseki. Sadly it looks difficult to know, if those are
actually a weakness or a strength of certain bots as our human judgement is
not perfectly accurate here either. Thus I would love to see some games, in
which the game is not started on an empty board, but on positions from
professional games at around move 50 or 60. (the position of course should
be not known to the bot before, so no preanalysis) For fairness reasons the
players of course have to play it twice with alternating colors to prevent
any potential advantage from the given board position.

It would be interesting to see, if those Bot fuseki are actually playing
into the bots strengths or if they are handicapping the bot, as they would
do better with conventional openings, but are just unable to play them.

Of course, the best would be, if it would be possible to somehow test it
against humans of appropriate level, but I'm not sure, how this could be
done. But even some sort of bot tourney with this mode would probably be
interesting, even though it would not tell us, what I described above, but
still the comparison to a normal tourney may tell something about strengths
of certain bots.

Same could be also done with endgame positions, but finding endgame
positions that are challenging for the bots without being predecided on
their level is probably rather difficult.