[Computer-go] Congratulations to Zen!

Nick Wedd nick at maproom.co.uk
Wed Jul 16 14:43:41 PDT 2014

On 16/07/2014 16:32, Erik van der Werf wrote:
> I think in cases like this it would be better to reduce to (double) round-robin.

It would.  To do it, I would need to cancel the Swiss tournament,
create a double round robin tournament, and enter all the players
into the new tournament.

This all seems simple enough, particularly as I could arrange for
the new tournament to start say 10 minutes after the start time of
the cancelled one, so as to give myself time to set it up.

The problem is with cancelling a tournament. The obvious solution,
of removing all the players and forgetting about it, does not work:
when the playerless tournament starts, the scheduler tries to pair
off the (empty) set of players, fails, and hangs.  It is not just
the scheduler for that tournament that hangs, it is the entire
scheduler module.  Then no more rounds in _any_ KGS tournament can
start until wms has rebooted the scheduler module.

I guess I could create another bot account or two, for the purpose
of playing, alone, in otherwise cancelled tournaments. I wouldn't
need to run actual bots, just accounts that fail to join their
games and lose on time will do.

I shall do some tests to check that this works.

Nick