[Computer-go] 1st Go Denou-sen

Hideki Kato hideki_katoh at ybb.ne.jp
Tue Feb 11 20:31:57 PST 2014

Hi Darren,

Darren Cook: <52FAE69C.6020602 at dcook.org>:
>Thanks for the commentary Kato-san.
>
>> 2nd game: Almost perfect win by B.  Chang 8p had studied this opening a
>> lot and had a big confidence.  Ohashi 6p (well-known 9x9 expert) was
>> very glad because the opening until move 7 practically get concluded as
>> B+0.5, thanks to Chang.  W E5 (6th) was bad.  #This could be included
>> in opening books.  Chang also commented he couldn't noticed W F7
>> (8th) by himself, which is a very good move.  So, without pre-study,
>> he would be surprised and was hard to win.
>
>If white E5, move 6, was bad, and as the game was a half point win for
>black, does that mean Chang thought black had a losing position after
>move 5?

No. I just meant E5 made B win surely.

#With Japanese rules and 6.5 pts komi, B may have an advantage, Chang
said (not confirmed, of course).

>In game 3, again if white E5 was a bad move, did the pros feel black was
>behind at move 9? I'm sensing more doubt in the game 3 commentary,
>though :-)

That question is equivalent to "is there a sure winning path for B at
move 9?"  No one knows now.  Please remember 9x9 is not solved yet for
any major opening moves.  I'd like to say there are not two but three
values for a position, ahead, behind and *unknown*.  "Not ahead" does
not mean "behind", although theoritically there are only two.

Hideki

Hideki Kato <mailto:hideki_katoh at ybb.ne.jp>