[Computer-go] Move Evaluation in Go Using Deep Convolutional Neural Networks

Hugh Perkins hughperkins at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 00:37:21 PST 2014

On Fri Dec 19 23:17:23 UTC 2014, Aja Huang wrote:
> We've just submitted our paper to ICLR. We made the draft available at
> http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~cmaddis/pubs/deepgo.pdf

Cool... just out of curiosity, did a back-of-an-envelope estimation of the
cost of training your and Clark and Storkey's network, if renting time
on AWS GPU instances and came up with:
   - Clark and Storkey: 125 usd (4 days * 2 instances * 0.65usd/hour)
   - Yours: 2025usd(cost of Clark and Storkey * 25/7 epochs *
       29.4/14.7 action-pairs * 12/8 layers)

Probably a bit high for me personally to just spend one weekend for fun,
but not outrageous at all in fact, if the same technique was being used by
an organization.