[Computer-go] Orego rewrite coming soon

Urban Hafner contact at urbanhafner.com
Tue Apr 29 11:03:45 PDT 2014

Hey Peter,

I'd love if you would add me (contact at urbanhafner.com) to your list. As an
aside, I find it amazing that you can do a full rewrite. That's nothing
I've yet come across in industry ;)

As an aside: If anybody wants to join me in learning the Rust
language<http://www.rust-lang.org/>in the context of writing
(yet another) Go AI<http://bettong.net/2014/04/29/introducting-iomrascalai/>,
feel free to contact me.

Urban

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 1:52 AM, Peter Drake <drake at lclark.edu> wrote:

> BACKGROUND: Orego is a well-known, if not terribly strong, Monte Carlo
> program. It has been used by several researchers, in part because of its
> (relatively) clear code. Those who prefer to work in Java and/or are new to
> computer Go find it particularly useful. It is currently playing on KGS in
> the computer Go room as Orego4, with a rank of 8 kyu.
>
> More here:
>
> https://sites.google.com/a/lclark.edu/drake/research/orego
>

> I'm planning to do a ground-up rewrite of the Orego code in the next few
> weeks. This is inspired by a number of factors, including:
>
> 1) I'd like to implement progressive widening and some other features of
> stronger programs.
> 2) After reading Christensen's "Flexible, Reliable Software" and Bloch's
> "Effective Java", I have some ideas for improving the architecture (e.g.,
> more strongly favoring composition over inheritance).
>
> I'll ask a couple of questions here, but to avoid overwhelming everyone
> with technical details most of the discussion will take place on the Orego
> list. If you're interested in participating (or lurking) in these
> discussions, email me (drake at lclark.edu) and I can add you to the list.
>
> --
> Peter Drake
> https://sites.google.com/a/lclark.edu/drake/

Freelancer

Available for hire for Ruby, Ruby on Rails, and JavaScript projects

More at http://urbanhafner.com