[Computer-go] Orego rewrite coming soon

Peter Drake drake at lclark.edu
Mon Apr 28 16:52:02 PDT 2014

BACKGROUND: Orego is a well-known, if not terribly strong, Monte Carlo
program. It has been used by several researchers, in part because of its
(relatively) clear code. Those who prefer to work in Java and/or are new to
computer Go find it particularly useful. It is currently playing on KGS in
the computer Go room as Orego4, with a rank of 8 kyu.

More here:

https://sites.google.com/a/lclark.edu/drake/research/orego

I'm planning to do a ground-up rewrite of the Orego code in the next few
weeks. This is inspired by a number of factors, including:

1) I'd like to implement progressive widening and some other features of
stronger programs.
2) After reading Christensen's "Flexible, Reliable Software" and Bloch's
"Effective Java", I have some ideas for improving the architecture (e.g.,
more strongly favoring composition over inheritance).

I'll ask a couple of questions here, but to avoid overwhelming everyone
with technical details most of the discussion will take place on the Orego
list. If you're interested in participating (or lurking) in these
discussions, email me (drake at lclark.edu) and I can add you to the list.

--
Peter Drake
https://sites.google.com/a/lclark.edu/drake/