[Computer-go] SGF format: How to specify prisoner count?

Erik van der Werf erikvanderwerf at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 16:48:23 PDT 2013

Such a property does not exist in the current standard, but do you
really need it?

If you know the player to move, handicap, and difference in number of
passes you can infer the difference in prisoners from the board
position. It also works the other way around (i.e., you can infer the
difference in number of passes). When setting up the position maybe
you can simply add an appropriate number of passes to get the
territory score right? Normally passes only happen at the end, so
typically I guess it's just a matter of figuring out who passed first.
Of course you still need the user to tell your app the prisoner
difference, player to move and handicap.

Erik