[Computer-go] September KGS bot tournament: 19x19, slow

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Sun Sep 8 08:15:28 PDT 2013

  Hi!

On Sun, Sep 01, 2013 at 08:00:48PM +0100, Nick Wedd wrote:
> This may be the last "slow" tournament, with time limits of over an
> hour each, that I run. Now that cloud computing is easily available,
> I believe that there is little purpose in setting such slow time
> limits. If you want to see how a bot does given a lot of thinking
> time, it makes more sense to hire multiple processors than to let
> it run for a long time. (If you think I am wrong, you can probably
> convince me of it.)

  To rephrase what others mostly already said, I think slow tournaments
are beneficial on two counts:

  (i) Implementing MCTS that is scaling well with additional time is
much easier than with additional (parallel) processing power.

  (ii) Some people are already running their programs on the biggest
hardware they can find / affort. I think this actually holds especially
for the strongest programs where you can't really improve the move
quality in any other way than increasing the thinking time.

  That's also the reason why I wouldn't be particularly excited...

On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 12:15:59PM -0700, David Fotland wrote:
> I think it would interesting to have a slow tournament with a fixed maximum
> number of cores (4 or 8, since they are readily available).

...about this. Since I believe most programs scaling with threads will
also scale with time (though of course not the converse), I'm not sure
if a slow tournament would be more interesting than a regular one with
number of cores fixed.

--
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
	If I had more time, I would have written you a shorter