[Computer-go] SGF format: How to specify prisoner count?

Rémi Coulom Remi.Coulom at free.fr
Sun Sep 8 01:09:30 PDT 2013

Hi,

I wonder if it is possible to indicate the number of prisoners when setting up a position in SGF. I would need it for my image-capture app. The difference in the number of prisoners is important in Japanese rules. It is possible to guess its value by assuming that both players passed the same number of times (when handicap and color to move are known). But if one player passed more, then there is no way to guess it.

I will probably ignore this issue and assume balanced passing when scoring japanese games. It should work well in most situations, but I don't like having to rely on this assumption.

Rémi