[Computer-go] Playouts vs playingstrength

Detlef Schmicker ds2 at physik.de
Sat Nov 16 23:21:51 PST 2013

I reasently did some tests to get an idea about the behaviour of oakfoam
with increased number of playouts.

I tested against gnugo, fuego and pachi 10.0

I show the result against pachi 10.0 with
pachi -d 0 -t =4000 -r chinese threads=1,max_tree_size=2048

  200 ++-----------+-----------+------------+----------++
      +            +           +           **************
  100 ++                           ********            ++
      |                       *****                     |
    0 ++                   ****                        ++
      |                 ***                             |
 -100 ++              ***                              ++
      |             **                                  |
 -200 ++          **                                   ++
      |          **                                     |
 -300 ++       **                                      ++
      |       **                                        |
 -400 ++     **                                        ++
      |     **                                          |
 -500 ++   *                                           ++
      |   *                                             |
 -600 ++ *                                             ++
      | **                                              |
      2           2.5          3           3.5          4

On the x-achsis the base 10 log of playouts is plotted and on the
y-achis the elo. Roughly at 1000 playouts it plays even.

What is the experts guess?!

Thanks a lot, Detlef

P.S.: I hope the graph is formated well in the mailing list, otherwize I
will put one on a webserver and post the link...