[Computer-go] How many probes down the tree are necessary for a "good" bot?

Erik van der Werf erikvanderwerf at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 03:55:56 PST 2013

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Stefan Kaitschick
<stefan.kaitschick at hamburg.de> wrote:
> Closed sources are indeed regretable at this point.
> Before, it sparked a kind of bot war, and the greatest technical
> advances are always made at war time.

No, in the last decade the greatest advances came from academic work.
Around 2007 all commercial programs were completely blown away by a
few good ideas from academia. Now other commercial programs have taken
back the throne and in some sense we just got back to 'normal'.

As far as I can see the only open source engine that has contributed
substantially to progressing the state-of-the-art is GnuGo.

Erik