[Computer-go] How many probes down the tree are necessary for a "good" bot?

Nick Wedd nick at maproom.co.uk
Fri Nov 15 01:28:58 PST 2013

On 15/11/2013 09:13, Stefan Kaitschick wrote:
> When you do only a single playout, you dont even need a playout, just
> generate the first move candidate - voilá. :-)
>
> Closed sources are indeed regretable at this point.
> Before, it sparked a kind of bot war, and the greatest technical
> advances are always made at war time.

I don't altogether agree with this.

Around 1999, there was a friendly "bot war" between Chen Zhixing's
HandTalk and Michael Reiss's Go4++. It was fought by each seeking out
weaknesses in the other's joseki dictionary, and playing to take
advantage of it. The only benefit was that a few weaknesses in the
dictionaries got removed. The two programs got barely any stronger
against humans and other bots.

Nick