[Computer-go] Server Migration Pending

Joshua Shriver jshriver at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 16:20:23 PST 2013

Greetings everyone,

       Hope everyone is well.  The new cgos server has been up a good
bit, lots of tests and have notice a handful of people have already
migrated over there.

I'd like to set a hard date for the transfer, but I'm open to
suggestions and recommendations.  I'd like to set it for the end of
the month  Nov 30th.  Realistically I'd like to shut down the
boardspace server around midnight EST US time between 29/30th and
allow a day for final transfers for the backup.

Everything should work near the same as the original CGOS, it is the
same software. Main reason it's taken this long is 2 hiccups. ELO
rating issues in the database something I'm still working on.  Second
is the client itself.

If you manually specify cgos.computergo.org  in the "client kit" it'll
work.. but by default the kits default to boardspace.  I'm still
trying to get them unwrapped, code changed and re-wrapped both in
Linux and Windows, though still having some issues.

If in doubt the universal kit and viewer will work as long as you
specify the address cgos.computergo.org  using the same ports for the
various board types 9x9, 13x13, 19x19.

I have been running anchor engines on all the board sizes since
inception, so there is a good base already. I also plan to keep those
engines running as well. I'm keeping 3 computers on 24/7 as client
machines.

After the migration, I plan to make a 100% clone of the current CGOS
system for historical reasons, and make sure to preserve the years of
games. I'll put up a final sgf of all games played on my website for
anyone to download. Anything else that might need to be dug up I'll
gladly do.

http://cgos.computergo.org/   is the new site.

Open to all comments, suggestions and concerns. This is a great
community and glad to be a part of it.

-Josh