[Computer-go] dead stones / seki detection algorithm

Erik van der Werf erikvanderwerf at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 15:20:33 PST 2013

What type of positions are you interested in? There is certainly no
simple solution for non-final positions (which is why Go is an
interesting game), and even in final positions it can be tricky. For
final positions Monte-Carlo playouts (with sufficient knowledge) can
get very close to perfect, but there are other approaches that also
work well (e.g., you could train a neural net on labeled examples).
Perhaps start with Benson's algorithm for unconditional life and
extend from that with whatever clever tricks you can find.

Good luck,
Erik