[Computer-go] How many probes down the tree are necessary for a "good" bot?

Erik van der Werf erikvanderwerf at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 07:30:20 PST 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 3:26 AM, Darren Cook <darren at dcook.org> wrote:
>... I'm going by the "Measuring program strength" thread (Aug
> 3013) where people are getting 50% against GnuGo with 1K to 10K playouts.)

Actually, in that thread Hiroshi was saying he only needs 350
playouts, and Detlef was at 700. So it seems you're off by roughly a
factor 10. (unless of course this was for 9x9 -- I'm assuming 19x19)

When people report results like this it would be nice to know what
version and level of Gnugo is used...

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 5:12 AM, Hiroshi Yamashita <yss at bd.mbn.or.jp> wrote:
> Yes. 300 playouts on 19x19 initial board is like this,
>
>   move  num   winrate
>  1:d16   64,  0.437
>  2:q16   76,  0.447
>  3:d4    45,  0.444
>  4:q4   112,  0.508
>  5:d17    1,  1.000
>  6:r16    1,  1.000
>  7:q3     1,  1.000

Funny, with that distribution you really don't need to search the
empty board at all  ;-)

Best,
Erik