[Computer-go] Monte-carlo simulations vs. MCMC

Aja Huang ajahuang at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 07:57:49 PDT 2013

2013/11/1 RĂ©mi Coulom <Remi.Coulom at free.fr>

> In MCMC the distribution is given to you with some kind of mathematical
> definition, and the challenge is to create a Markov Chain that approximates
> the distribution well.

In MCTS what we really want is a good playout policy and we sample (do
playouts) from a given a position with that policy to estimate its value
(or expectation). In the context of MCMC seems it is to evaluate a position
by doing playouts from another position (and the playouts form a Markov
Chain).

Aja