[Computer-go] Using RAVE statistics during playout

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Fri Mar 29 10:56:30 PDT 2013

  Hi!

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 09:40:49PM +0400, Alexander Kozlovsky wrote:
> I know that RAVE data typically used during tree traversing.
> But is it possible to use it during random playout, in order to
> increase playout quality?
..snip..
> I think, this should add exploration element to next move
> selection and prevent skewing of RAVE statistics.
> I suspect using RAVE data can improve playout strength
> significantly.
>
> Has anybody trying something like this, or it is just crazy idea?

  I think most Computer Go programmers devote part of their time to
experiments with ideas similar to this. I have summed up some of the
approaches (not all) recently in my presentation in Chofu:

	http://pasky.or.cz/go/infsharing.pdf

  Unfortunately, probably none of the ideas has been earth-shatteringly
successful.  Getting improvement from the first and maybe second method
of information sharing you devise is easy, but to improve above certain
bounds seems like a difficult problem.

  In case of your idea, I see a possible problem in that it will be
difficult for playouts to discover "new" moves in case a move is not
suggested by the playout heuristics, and that "followup bias" could make
the playouts prefer moves that lead to favorable misevaluation of the
situation rather than the "true" solution. But that's just my thoughts
and I'd encourage you to try it out anyway. I think eventually, the next
breakthrough in Computer Go will come up from one of us, in one of our
many tries, succeeding in getting a variation of this to work, and it
could be anybody. :)

--
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
	For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear,