[Computer-go] A Regression test set for exploring some limitations of current MCTS programs in Go

Hiroshi Yamashita yss at bd.mbn.or.jp
Tue Mar 26 04:27:35 PDT 2013

Hi Aja,

Thanks for posting this result.
It seems seki is easy for MC. But semeai and Life and Death are
 big problem. Almost all programs don't understand except Zen.
 Zen's result is awesome. I think it is a reason Zen is 5d or 6d
 and others are 2d or 3d.

About test, this post is helpful.

A Regression test set for exploring some limitations of current MCTS programs in Go
http://www.mail-archive.com/computer-go@dvandva.org/msg04954.html

Seki        128k playouts

Aya         32/33  96%
Crazy Stone 29/33  87%
GNU Go L10  29/33  87%
GNU Go MC   24/33  72%
Gomorra     26/33  78%
Many Faces  32/33  96%
Pachi       26/33  78%
StoneGrid   31/33  93%
Steenvreter 33/33 100%
Fuego       17/33  51%
Zen         33/33 100%

two_safe_groups_0.3  128k playouts  (W two groups are alive.)

Aya          2/15  13%
Gomorra      0/15   0%
Many Faces   2/15  13%
Pachi        0/15   0%
Steenvreter  4/15  26%
Fuego        0/15   0%
Zen         13/15  86%

My anti-semeai version Aya gets

Aya          7/15  46% (anti-semeai)
Aya          1/15   6% (normal)

But I could not get good result on KGS and selfplay from anti-semeai.
 Its strength is almost same. Maybe side-effects?
My anti-semeai strategy is
 1. Each node searchs its first 100 playouts. Then
 2. Semeai analysis runs.
 3. Recognize two adjacent groups that has similer living percentage,
     like 25% and 28%.
 4. Count their true liberties. If one has 2 libs and one eye, 1 share
     lib, 5 nakade in the corner include 2 dead stones, etc...
 5. In playout, if one reduces his own true libs, undo and play killing
     another group move.

Regards,
Hiroshi Yamashita