[Computer-go] AVX2 effect on go programs?

terry mcintyre terrymcintyre at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 14 05:59:18 PDT 2013

That doesn't seem to be quite right. From Intel's site:
http://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/studio/composer/en-us/2011Update/compiler_c/optaps/common/optaps_vec_par.htm

For integer loops, the 128-bit Intel® Streaming SIMD Extensions (Intel® SSE) provide SIMD instructions for most arithmetic and logical operators on 32-bit, 16-bit, and 8-bit integer data types, with limited support for the 64-bit integer data type.
Vectorization may proceed if the final precision of integer wrap-around arithmetic is preserved. A 32-bit shift-right operator, for instance, is not vectorized in 16-bit mode if the final stored value is a 16-bit integer. Also, note that because the Intel® SSE instruction sets are not fully orthogonal (shifts on byte operands, for instance, are not supported), not all integer operations can actually be vectorized.
OTOH, AVX2 - Integer data types expanded to 256-bit SIMD.

There are also some new gather operations and filtering abilities, etc, which might be useful. Odds are, they'll require some hand-written assembler.

Terry McIntyre <terrymcintyre at yahoo.com>

Unix/Linux Systems Administration
Taking time to do it right saves having to do it twice.