[Computer-go] Question on 0.5-wins

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Sat Jun 1 01:29:51 PDT 2013

  Hi!

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 12:27:49PM +0200, "Ingo Althöfer" wrote:
> For a long time it was my impression that this phenomenon
> was typcial only for bots-vs-humans, but not for
> MC-bots vs. MC-bots. But now experiments with other games
> make me believe that wins by small margins happen often also
> for MC-bots against each other.

  The MCTS in Go may win by an 0.5 margin because the human continues
to play mostly calmly, catching up gradually. However, an MCTS opponent
definitely does not like to *lose* by an 0.5 margin - it will force
itself to resign and it's not a matter in which the winning program has
any influence.

  It's probably a question of implementation and the character of the
game. Perhaps in other games the playouts are short enough for resign
not to make sense and/or score fluctuation within a branch isn't so big
or is rather predictable.

--
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
	For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear,