[Computer-go] Japanese byoyomi in SGF files (possible KGS Bug?)

Erik van der Werf erikvanderwerf at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 02:27:01 PDT 2013

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to call it a bug in sgf, more something that
just needs a better description. It is unclear what exactly 'after the move
was made' means. Perhaps it should state something like 'directly after the
move was made, before making any further adjustments to prepare for the
next move (e.g., when in Japanese byoyomi)'

I don't think there's a problem with overloading the meaning of OB/OW to
handle both Japanese periods left and Canadian moves left. The OT property
allows us to distinguish the two.

My main concern is with the BL/WL property (not OB/OW), which for the KGS
implementation of Japanese byoyomi does not provide the amount of time that
was used to think about the move.

One possible way to fix this would be to use both BL and WL in every node
so that for every move you can provide information about the time both
before and after the move is made. But if one prefers to store only
information of one side (as KGS currently does), i.e. pairing BL only with
B and WL only with W, then I would say that for Japanese byoyomi the time
left shown should be the one at the end of the move before resetting the
time for the next move. The time left after resetting is redundant anyway
because the OT property already tells us the length of each period (and
the OB/OW property tells use when we are in byoyomi).

Best,
Erik