[Computer-go] Congratulations to Zen!

Detlef Schmicker ds2 at physik.de
Mon Jul 8 13:46:08 PDT 2013

Thanks for the report. It was one of the observers who tested oakfoam
against gnugo 3.9, not me. Our actual download version is missing the
large pattern database, so it is not comparable I think.

We read the top left in the game not dead enough (90% dead). as it is a
big area this lead to significant miscount. As we do not have dynamic
komi oakfoam gave away a lot of points, as it had 80% winrate for most
of the middle game.

I think the probability of such problems is not so dependent on the
opponent strength. If playing against even strong humans this happens
from time to time and loosing does not harm the rating too much I think.

By the way, I am training mainly against gnugo level 0 and gnugo level
10. But never with mc enabled.

Just for reference: it plays even against gnugo level 10 with 700
playouts per move in the configuration played yesterday. We have about
3000 playouts per second, so most moves may have had about 70000
playouts.

Detlef