[Computer-go] Board Sizes

"Ingo Althöfer" 3-Hirn-Verlag at gmx.de
Mon Jan 7 12:54:31 PST 2013

Thanks to all for the valuable feedbacks.

Don touched my background with his remark on "mirror go".
And Erik wrote:
> Well, I still think mirroring is a bit easier on even size boards (you
> can't just play tengen to break it). But sure, even size boards are
> playable.

At least for bots it might be just the other way round.

Here is what I did: The commercial version of "Many Faces of Go" allows
to play any board size between 5 and 19. For each size between 7 and 19
I played a game of mirror go, with Chinese rules.

On boards of odd size I set komi=0.5, took the Black stones and started
with a stone on tengen (the central point), followed by mirror go.
On boards of even size I took normal komi = 7.5, took the White stones
and played mirror moves from the very beginning.

In this set of games I observed the following:
ManyFaces won all the games on even boards easily, breaking the symmetry
rather early by capturing a central group of mine.
For odd board sizes, ManyFaces won only some of the games. And all these
"odd wins" looked much more complicated than those on the even boards.

So I would say: "Killing the mirror player is easier on even board sizes."
My results come only from ManyFaces. Other programmers may try if their
bots behave similarly or differently.

Ingo.