[Computer-go] Board Sizes

David Ongaro david.ongaro at hamburg.de
Mon Jan 7 08:19:55 PST 2013

Am 07.01.2013 um 17:01 schrieb Michael Alford:

> On 1/7/13 12:08 AM, "Ingo Althöfer" wrote:
>
>> Go is traditionally played on boards of odd sizes (9x9, 13x13, 19x19, ...)
>> and almost never on even ones (10x10 or 18x18 ...). What are the reasons
>> for this?
>>
>> Ingo (has observed something and wants to put it in context).
>
> Interesting discussion and links. I remember reading, although I cannot name the source, that board size was set at 19 due to extensions from the corner to the point under the side hoshi, only one player can extend to any side point, the other player is left with a less than optimal extension, if the board is larger, both players can make a proper extension, so 19 is the size which preserves the competition for that extension.

Why we settled on 19x19 is another question compared to why we use uneven board sizes.

Anyway, people a really good in making up convincing reasons for some arbitrarily decisions. But this proves nothing (just look into split-brain research). I found the research of http://www.youtube.com/embed/JMDjpSQUH74. According to him 19x19 is just much nearer to the number of days in a year than 17x17. Therefore a board of this size is more useful as a calendar.

Regards

David